Anglesea was originally known as Swampy Creek. Subsequently it was known as Anglesea River. The name was eventually changed to Anglesea which is a well known town on the west coast of Wales.
The region was settled in the 1830s by squatters attracted to the freshwater creek and the grazing land which lay behind the sand dunes. Most notable was the arrival of William Roadknight (hence the name Point Roadknight) who brought sheep across from Tasmania in 1836 and settled near Ceres Bridge, west of Geelong. William and his son Thomas pioneered a track to the Cape Otway lighthouse in 1846.